Total cost: $9.29
1 small chicken, about 21/2 pounds,
cup up or leftover
cooked chicken or turkey may be used.
1 onion peeled and quarter
1 onion peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup oil or butter plus 3 tablespoons
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoon slat
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the chicken in a stockpot with the peeled and quarter onion. Add water until the chicken is covered about 3/4 of the way. Simmer for 45 to 60 minutes over low heat. Remove chicken and once cool enough to handle debone and finely chop. Set aside.
2. In a skillet, sauté the onions in 3 tablespoons of the oil until brown.
3. Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
4. Break eggs into a bowl. Add brown onions, baking powder, lime juice, salt, pepper, and beat thoroughly with a fork
5. Add the chicken pieces to the beaten eggs and mix well.
6. Pour 1/4 cup oil or butter into an 8-inch ovenproof baking dish and place in the oven. Heat the oil or butter for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, pour in the egg mixture and bake uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes or until the top starts to brown.
7. Serve in the baking dish or unmold it by loosening the edge with a knife and inverting onto a serving dish.